Saturday, June 23, 2007

Shoe Search: GoLite Sun Dragon



The GoLite Sun Dragon pictured above is the first of the trail running shoes I've tried on for the CT. There are about half a dozen more I want to try out, all clock in under 24 ounces (680g) per pair.

I will give the Sun Dragons another chance, but my initial impression wasn't favorable. The shoe has a loose fit in the size I need -- there's a lot of movement in the heel cup and for some reason the outside-mid section of my right foot (and not my left) feels funny in the shoe.

They're made for neutral runners and I pronate (roll in) a decent amount.

There's a lot of room in the toe box and the upper is slightly stretchy so it feels good.

The shoes include an interchangeable fore-foot fitting system that I don't know anything about and neither did the salesperson at REI.

I'm unclear as to whether this is a failure to train on the manufacturer's part, or a failure to learn on the retailer's.

In any case, I will try these on again. Demetri is a cool guy, and GoLite is a local (Boulder) company doing a lot of work to lighten peoples' loads.

No comments: